Obstetrics & Gynecology
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology is constantly expanding. We believe you will find the type of postgraduate education you are seeking right here where we have a tradition of excellence. The Department has been organized around four clinical divisions: Gynecology and Urodynamics, High-Risk Maternal Fetal Medicine, Gynecologic Oncology, and Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility. This Department maintains tertiary and specialty care programs that are unique in Northwest Louisiana; we always use an integrated approach to health care with an interdisciplinary team of providers. Clinical services are provided in a highly competitive environment.
The Department has important research efforts conducted by the faculty and residents that result in scientific publications each year. There is a constant effort on the part of the faculty to keep abreast of state-of-the-art advances in the specialty and to provide the student and resident staff with the most accurate and up-to-date information.
To be leaders and advocates in the pursuit of excellence in providing health care to women.
OUR MISSION:To promote and provide the highest quality patient care, educational programs, and medical research for the citizens of Louisiana.
We Value: Integrity, honesty, and compassion as principles of all personal and professional activities; Efficiency and cost effectiveness in providing the highest quality personalized care to all our patients; Creativity in providing innovative health care delivery.
Our Goals: To provide the highest quality service to our patients; To continuously evaluate the results of our efforts by how effectively we meet the needs of our patients and students; To promote the involvement of all levels of faculty and staff in the identification and solution of problems; To use advanced informational technology to improve all aspects of productivity; To continue to develop a strong research program which results in the advancement of medical science; To be enthusiastic and think positively.
- High-Risk Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Gynecology & Urodynamics
- Gynecologic Oncology
- Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility (REI)
High-risk Maternal Fetal Medicine
Our departmental activities in perinatal medicine are coordinated with the Department of Pediatrics to provide integrated infant and fetal care. We Provide Services for:
- Maternal Complications. Specialists in Maternal Fetal Medicine in conjunction with specialists in Internal Medicine are available to see women with medical complications such as chronic hypertension, diabetes, cardiac disease, venous thromboembolic disorders, hematological disorders, pulmonary diseases, gastrointestinal disorders, renal disease, collagen vascular disease and neoplastic disease.
- Fetal Complications. Faculty physicians provide consultation and management of patients referred for fetal complications such as Rh disease, intrauterine growth retardation macrosomia, hydramnios, evidence of fetal distress, or other such possible fetal abnormalities.
- Obstetrical Complications. Specialists are available for those pregnancies complicated by premature labor, premature rupture of the membranes, pregnancy induced hypertension, chorioamnionitis, unexplained vaginal bleeding, and other obstetrical complications.
Other Areas of Special Interest to the Faculty Include:
- Prenatal Diagnosis and Genetics. Specialists are available for the prenatal detection, evaluation and genetic counseling of patients and/or pregnancies complicated by genetic disorders. This service is also available for any fetal abnormalities detected during the course of pregnancy. Procedures offered include amniocentesis, fetal blood sampling and ultrasonographic evaluation.
Gynecology and Urodynamics
The Benign Gynecology Division provides residents with extensive experience in the evaluation and treatment of common gynecologic problems such as heavy menses, uterine myomas, endometriosis, painful menses, pelvic pain, urinary and fecal incontinence, pelvic relaxation, colposcopy, contraception, and primary care. Our purpose is to provide as extensive as possible exposure to and education in gynecology especially gynecologic surgery. We have as a major goal to turn out well educated and confident pelvic surgeons. Our residents gain extensive experience in the operating room as the primary surgeon operating under the supervision of faculty who are committed to resident education and quality patient care. Our program benefits greatly by being responsible for providing care to a large number of patients with extensive and diverse gynecologic pathology.
The Division of Gynecologic Oncology is a team of clinicians dedicated to the care of women with cancers of the organs of the pelvis. Dr. Destin Black is board certified in Gynecology Oncology. She completed her fellowship training at Memorial Sloan Kettering. We manage patients through a combination of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy, as well as surgical management of complicated benign diseases of the pelvis. We offer innovative therapies including an extensive array of minimally invasive/robotic procedures. Our goal is to provide the highest quality, most compassionate, and cost effective care for women with gynecologic cancers. We also conduct research and teach students, residents and other healthcare professionals to provide care that exceeds expectations. We are committed to improving access to our quality care.
Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility (REI)
Evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of all endocrine and reproductive disorders including: abnormal menses, amenorrhea, infertility, pregnancy loss, ovulatory problems, uterine or tubal abnormalities, reproductive tract surgery, endometriosis, and menopause. Male problems are also treated as part of a comprehensive approach to infertility.
Phone: (318) 675-5379
Fax: (318) 675-4671
Phone: (318) 675-5380
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
LSU Health Shreveport
1501 Kings Highway
P. O. Box 33932
Shreveport, LA 71130-3932
Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program
Danielle B. Cooper, MD
Residency Program Director