Interventional Cardiology Fellowship
MESSAGE FROM PROGRAM DIRECTOR
Thank you for your interest in the Interventional Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship program at the LSU Health Shreveport. Our program received accreditation from the ACGME to commence training in cardiology starting July 2009, and currently offers one position. The Interventional Cardiology Fellowship is designed to provide cardiology training in coronary interventions, with exposure to peripheral and structural procedures. In addition, the Interventional Cardiology Fellow will obtain experience in the clinical interventional cardiology research program.
Kalgi Modi, MD
Program Director, Cardiovascular Disease & Interventional Cardiology Fellowships
Our fellowship programs offer superb clinical training in an excellent academic setting,
enhanced by a warm, friendly atmosphere.
Our Interventional Cardiology Fellowship is an ACGME-accredited one-year program.
The goal of the Program is to provide compassionate, evidence-based care utilizing state-of-the-art diagnostic and therapeutic modalities. We are dedicated to excellence in patient care, research, and education. The Fellow is expected to assume primary, hands-on responsibility for invasive patient care, with an appropriate degree of independence in management decisions. Experienced faculty provide close supervision and oversight of all care, in an atmosphere that fosters cooperation and mutual respect. We believe that change and innovation are essential to the continued success of the Fellowship program. Thus, all clinical and educational aspects of the program are under continuous review to improve the effectiveness of the program.
We believe the following are essential to the training of Interventional Cardiologists:
- Clinical and procedural encounters with patients with a wide variety and balanced mix of common, unusual and complex cardiovascular diseases
- Interaction with knowledgeable faculty dedicated to teaching
- Stimulate scientific inquiry and prepare for lifelong learning
- Formulate research questions and carry out scientific investigations under guidance of faculty
- Develop teaching skills and put them into practice
- Exposure to the business of medicine and various practice systems
- Emphasis on effective communication skills
- Embracing diversity in the work place and patient care