Kenneth E. McMartin, PhD, Professor of Pharmacology, Toxicology & Neuroscience, received the American Academy of Clinical Toxicology Distinguished Service Award at the North American Congress of Clinical Toxicology.
Kenneth E. McMartin, PhD, FAACT
Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology and NeuroscienceB.A., 1973, Coe College, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Ph.D., 1977, University of Iowa, Iowa City
Postdoctoral, Karolinska Institute, Huddinge, Sweden. 1977 - 1979
Louisiana State University Health Shreveport
1501 Kings Highway
Shreveport, LA 71130-3932
Phone: (318) 675-7871
Major Research Interests
Development of antidotes for poisonings, mechanisms of toxicity of alcohols and glycols, renal toxicology, folate metabolism and transport.
Achievements and Awards
1988 Kenneth Morgareidge Award in Toxicology, International Life Sciences Institute
1997/2000 Fomepizole approved for marketing as antidote against ethylene glycol/methanol poisonings
2009 Fellow, American Academy of Clinical Toxicology
2010 Society of Toxicology Translational Impact Award
2016 Member, Board of Scientific Counselors, National Toxicology Program, National Institute for Environmental Sciences (NIEHS)
Current Lab Members
Corie Robinson, Graduate Student
LSU Health Shreveport
Transport of succinate and diglycolic acid by kidney cells
Ike Muslow Predoctoral Fellowship from LSU Health Shreveport, 2015-17
American Academy of Clinical Toxicology Student and Trainee NACCT Travel Award, 2015
Society of Toxicology Domestic ToxScholar, 2016
Courtney Jamison, Graduate Student
LSU Health Shreveport
Effect of diglycolic acid on calcium homeostasis in cells
Julie Dagenhardt, Graduate Student
LSU Health Shreveport
Effect of diglycolic acid on glutathione homeostasis in cells
Recent Lab Members
Elliot Luttrell-Williams, (MS, 2017), currently working as a Research Assistant at NYU Langone
Taylor Conrad, (MD, 2016), LSU Health Shreveport Medical Student research internship (2013-2016), now is Resident Physician at Kings County Hospital Center, Brooklyn New York
AOA 2015 Carolyn L. Kuckein Student Research Fellowship
Cody Dunning, Undergraduate Student Assistant (2011-2015), now enrolled in Southern University at Shreveport School of Nursing
Kiera Broussard, Undergraduate Student Research Internship (2015), now is undergraduate student at Xavier University
Royce Nichols, Undergraduate Student Research Internship (2014), now is Graduate Student, Mississippi State University
Greg Landry, (PhD, 2013), now is Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacology & Toxicology, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.
Ike Muslow Predoctoral Fellowship from LSU Health Shreveport, 2011-13
AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals Graduate Student Fellowship, 2011-13
Informa Innovative Research Abstract Award at the North American Congress of Clinical Toxicology, 2012
Society of Toxicology Renal Toxicology Award, 2013
Finalist (top 6) for Carl C. Smith Award, Society of Toxicology Mechanisms Specialty Section, 2012
Finalist (top 6) for Carl C. Smith Award, Society of Toxicology Mechanisms Specialty Section, 2013
Lauren Besenhofer, (PhD, 2011), now is Staff toxicologist at Abbvie, Inc
Finalist (top 12) for Carl C. Smith Award, Society of Toxicology Mechanisms Specialty Section, 2011
Yan Li, (PhD, 2010), now is Postdoctoral Fellow at LSU Health Shreveport, Department of Pathology
Finalist (top 12) for Carl C. Smith Award, Society of Toxicology Mechanisms Specialty Section, 2009
Travel Award, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases for the meeting: Anion Transporters and Oxalate Homeostasis: From Genes to Diseases, 2008
Mallory Hitt Allen, (MD, 2015), LSU medical student research internship (2012), Resident physician at Children's Hospital of The King's Daughters, Norfolk VA
Courtney Jamison, Undergraduate Student Research Internship (2013), now is Graduate student, LSU Health Shreveport
Tess Dupree, Undergraduate Student Research Internship (2012), now is Graduate student, University of Louisville
Corie Robinson, Undergraduate Student Research Internship (2011), now is Graduate student, LSU Health Shreveport
Sarah Martin, PhD, Undergraduate Student Research Internship (2009), now is Postdoctoral Researcher at UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas
Selected Recent Publications
- Besenhofer LM, McLaren MC, Latimer B, Bartels M, Filary MJ, Perala AW, McMartin KE. Role of tissue metabolite accumulation in the renal toxicity of diethylene glycol. Toxicol Sci. 123: 374-83, 2011.
- Besenhofer LM, Cain MC, Dunning C, McMartin KE. Aluminum citrate prevents renal injury from calcium oxalate crystal deposition. J Am Soc Nephrol. 23: 2024-33, 2012.
- Landry GM, Dunning CL, Conrad T, Hitt MJ, McMartin KE. Diglycolic acid Inhibits succinate dehydrogenase activity in human proximal tubule cells leading to mitochondrial dysfunction and cell death. Toxicol Lett. 221:176-84, 2013.
- Landry GM, Dunning CL, Abreo F, Latimer B, Orchard E, McMartin KE. Diethylene glycol-induced toxicities show marked threshold dose response in rats. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 282: 244-51, 2015.
- McMartin KE, Jacobsen D, Hovda KE. Antidotes for poisoning by alcohols that form toxic metabolites. Brit J Clin Pharmacol. 81: 505-15, 2016.
- Conrad T, Landry GM, Aw TY, Nichols R, McMartin KE. Diglycolic acid, the toxic metabolite of diethylene glycol, chelates calcium and produces renal mitochondrial dysfunction in vitro. Clin Toxicol. 54: 501-11, 2016.
- Robinson CN, Latimer B, Abreo F, Broussard K, McMartin KE. In-vivo evidence of nephrotoxicity and altered hepatic function in rats following administration of diglycolic acid, a metabolite of diethylene glycol. Clin Toxicol. 55: 96-105, 2017.