Applying for Our Program
The Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology is now accepting applications through GradCAS. The next application cycle for Fall 2020 entrance will open September 2019.
Please do not send any documents directly to our department via email or post.* Only those that complete the online application and provide all necessary documents there will be considered. That being said, if you do have questions or concerns about the requirements or other items, you can email us at Admissions-BMB@lsuhsc.edu.
*Only IELTS test score reports will be accepted from outside the GradCAS system.
Applications to our graduate program are submitted through the GradCAS online application system. Please go here to create an account so you can begin your application. Further details on submission of items can be found on our department GradCAS and the GradCAS Help Center Page . The School of Graduate Studies is dedicated to developing a culture that fosters the recruitment, nurturing and retention of a diverse student body that is reflective of our larger community. Thus, students of all racial and ethnic backgrounds are encouraged to apply to our programs. Applications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veterans status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factor.
Requirements for Admission:
- A baccalaureate degree from a college or university approved by a regional accrediting agency.
- Grade point average of at least 2.5 for undergraduate work, and 3.0 grade point average on a 4 point scale for all graduate work for which a grade was given.
- Undergraduate courses should include at least one of year of General Biology or Biological Science, one year of Calculus, two years of Chemistry (including one year of Organic Chemistry), and one year of Physics.
- Satisfactory standing at the most recent educational institution attended.
- Satisfactory scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). The department requires both verbal and quantitative parts of the GRE. A composite score of 300 or more is recommended and the exam must be taken within 5 years of application to the program. Have the educational Test Service send your GRE score through the CAS using the code 4202. See Sending Official GRE Scores
- Copies of official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. Detailed instructions including address can be found under the Sending Official Transcripts to GradCAS menu. Unofficial transcripts can also be uploaded to the CAS for preliminary evaluation, but official ones will be required to complete your application.
***FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS***
In addition to the above items, these must also be completed:
- For foreign transcripts, global credential evaluating must be done. Recommended companies are ECE, WES, and GCE.
- International Students must also present scores of 100 or better for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or 7.0 or better on the International English Testing System (IELTS) examination. To submit your official TOEFL scores to GradCAS, go to http://www.ets.org/toefl and requestyour scores be sent to GradCAS using code #B886. IELTS scores are to be sent directly from IELTS to the Graduate Studies Office at the mailing address below:
LSU School of Graduate Studies LSU Health Sciences Center 1501 Kings Hwy Shreveport, LA 71103
- Applications and their components will only be accepted through the GradCAS system. Apart from IELTS test score reports, please do not send any required materials or documents by post or email to the department or School of Graduate Studies.
If your degree will not be conferred until Summer, due to time required for paperwork that can only take place after your degree is conferred, you will need to apply for admission in the application cycle that opens following your graduation. If you apply in the wrong cycle, you would have to re-apply in the correct cycle, which would result in paying the application fee twice. If you have questions regarding this policy, or are unsure for which term/cycle to apply, please email us at: email@example.com.
To Evaluators: Below is a link to the reference form to be completed, along with a reference letter for an applicant, by their chosen evaluator. Please complete and sign this form along with your reference letter and scan to merge into one file, then upload to GradCAS. Keep in mind that you can only upload one file to the evaulation so please be sure both parts are present in the file you upload before submitting. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if there are any issues or concerns.
To Applicants: If you forget to include the message requested in GradCAS to be sent to your evaluator, please send this form to them with the instructions above. We will need both the letter and form from each of your evaluators for that section of your application to be complete.
Research Fellowship Stipend
Full-time graduate students within the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at LSU Health Shreveport receive financial support in the form of a Research Fellowship Stipend of $26,000, including tuition waiver. Total living expenses for a single person are estimated at $10,000-$15,000 per year. For more information on Financial Services (link here).
The local community has a wide selection of single-unit, duplex and apartment complex rentals. Apartments and condominiums are also available that overlook Cross Lake. Shreveport newspapers (such as the Shreveport Times) carry advertisements for room, apartment, and house rentals.
Real Estate with Honors is the Official Off-Campus Housing Listing Service Offered by LSU Health Shreveport. LSU Health Shreveport and Real Estate with Honors specializes in helping students, staff and faculty find off-campus housing. This free service is provided to help make your search for off-campus housing easy, fun, and informative.
Employment for Spouses
Job opportunities for spouses of graduate students are available. Within the metropolitan area of Shreveport (population 350,000) there is a wide range of private businesses and governmental agencies that form a rich reservoir of positions for potential employment. Information about positions at LSU Health Shreveport may be obtained from the Personnel Office, LSU Health Shreveport, P.O. Box 33932, Shreveport, LA 71130. There are many public and private schools in the area providing opportunity for employment of spouses who hold teaching credentials.