Mini Medical School
Mini Medical School at LSU Health Shreveport began in the spring of 2012 when 30 community members put on white coats and got a taste of what medical school is like for our students. There are now more than 300 Mini Med graduates in the Shreveport-Bossier area! Taught by LSU Health Shreveport leadership and faculty, “students” learn about important health topics and the latest developments in healthcare fields. Sessions are typically held every spring and fall.
Dates and Locations:
Each Mini Med School session is four weeks and meetings take place on Tuesday evenings from 5:30 – 7:00 p.m. on the LSU Health Shreveport campus. Fall dates are Sept. 3, Sept. 10, Sept. 17 and Sept. 24. Registered participants receive an email each week with details for the upcoming Mini Med School meeting.
LSU Health Shreveport is holding its next session starting Tuesday, September 3. This four-week program is held from 5:30-7:00pm on Tuesdays in September. Topics and speakers will be shared as soon as they are finalized.
Online registration for Fall 2019 Mini Medical School is open through Friday, August, 30. Registration after this date can be completed by contacting Megan Strecker at 318.675.8789 or email@example.com. Please note: Registration may close early if the session is full before August 30.
- First-time participants: $40 (Registration fee includes a white lab coat and attendance to all four sessions)
- New participants: Please refer to the white coat size chart below and submit your needed size to Megan Strecker at firstname.lastname@example.org when or after you register. White coats tend to run small, so it is recommended to size up two (2) sizes depending on the fit you prefer. The last day to register/submit your white coat size and be guaranteed a white coat is Monday, August 26.
- Returning participants: $20
Light refreshments and topic handouts are provided at each meeting, and each participant receives a certificate and group photo on the last night the Mini Med School session.
Online registration is available for your convenience. (See above.) If you prefer to register with cash or check, please contact Megan Strecker at (318) 675-8789 or by email at email@example.com. Checks should be payable to LSUHS Foundation (memo: Mini Med Registration - Fall 2019) for $40 or $20. Please be sure to also include when you mail your check or cash the participant name(s) and contact information including phone number, mailing address and email. Mail your payment to:
LSU Health Sciences Foundation Shreveport
920 Pierremont Rd, Suite 506
Shreveport, LA 71106
Mini Med School Schedule - Fall 2019:
- Tuesday, September 3, 5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
- "Integrative Medicine at LSU Health Shreveport"
- Tuesday, September 10, 5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
- "Diagnosis and Treatment of Hepatitis"
- Tuesday, September 17, 5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
- "Humanism in Medicine: The Role of Compassion in Healthcare"
- Tuesday, September 24, 5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
- "A Day in the Life of an ICU Nurse: Lessons Learned and How You Can Help in an Emergency Situation"
New participants will receive a white coat on the first night of Mini Med School. Please see sizing chart and submit your needed size to firstname.lastname@example.org when or soon after you register. White coats tend to run small, so it is recommended to size up at least two (2) sizes depending on the fit you prefer. Returning participants: Please remember to bring your white coat with you each week. There is a fee to replace a white coat if lost.