Cardiovascular Undergraduate Research Initiative fOr Underrepresented Students
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN A BIOMEDICAL CAREER THAT INCLUDES
IF SO, LET US HELP YOU PURSUE YOUR GOAL AS A STUDENT IN
OUR CURIOUS PROGRAM!
The Center of Excellence for Cardiovascular Diseases and Sciences is excited to introduce our new CURIOUS Program. The CURIOUS program is a NIH-funded 8-wk summer research program in cardiovascular disease. Our principle investigators, who will serve as mentors, lead research programs in several focus areas including: atherosclerosis, myocardial infarction, cardiomyopathy, peripheral artery disease, microvascular dysfunction in response to cardiovascular disease risk factors, stroke and the vascular/heart-brain axis.
YEAR ONE PROGRAM DATES
June 3rd – July 26th, 2019
To apply, applicants should complete the application form HERE Attachments required are:
- Unofficial Transcript Personnel statement (no more than 500 words) should include:
- why you want to participate in the CURIOUS program
- what experiments/techniques in your college courses/labs have stimulated your interest in research
- career goals
- description of prior research experience.
- Applicants should pick 3 faculty members whose research interests align with theirs and with whom they would like to work. There are links to participating faculty members below.
- Recommendation letters: In the application form, applicants will be asked to name 2-3 referees; however references will only be requested for top selected candidates.
Karen Stokes, PhD (Principle Investigator and mentor)
Felicity Gavins, PhD (Co-Investigator)
J. Steven Alexander, PhD (Co-Investigator and mentor)
Sumitra Miriyala, PhD (Co-Investigator and mentor)
Matthew Woolard, PhD (Co-Investigator and mentor)
Md Shenuarin Bhuiyan, PhD (mentor)
Diana Cruz-Topete, PhD (mentor)
Norman Harris, PhD (mentor)
Lynn Harrison, PhD (mentor)
Christopher Kevil, PhD (mentor)
David Krzywanski, PhD (mentor)
Hung Wen Lin, PhD (mentor)
Kevin McCarthy, PhD (mentor)
Hyung Nam, PhD (mentor)
A. Wayne Orr, PhD (mentor)
Manikandan Panchatcharam, PhD (mentor)
Christopher Pattillo, PhD (mentor)
Yunfeng Zhao, PhD (mentor)
Students in the program will:
- Participate in 8 weeks of mentored research in a laboratory led by our nationally recognized researchers in cardiovascular diseases
- Have the opportunity to network with a seminar speaker invited specifically for the students in this program
- Learn about graduate life from our students during informal lunches
- Participate in 2 types of weekly skills training:
1) cardiovascular basics and state-of-the-art techniques
2) career development and financial preparedness for graduate school
- Receive didactic lectures in the responsible conduct of research
- Be invited to present a poster at the end-of-program “CURIOUS Research Day”
- Receive: a stipend of $12/hr; some travel costs; rent subsidies
** Top-performing students will be selected to attend and present their work at a national conference **
Some students will be selected to return for a second year, in which they will receive more advanced enrichments and continue their cardiovascular research.
Dr. Karen Stokes, PhD
CURIOUS Program Director E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org