What is a child life specialist?
Certified child life specialists (CCLS) are professionals, specifically educated to assist children and their families in understanding and managing the hospital experience. They offer developmental, educational, and therapeutic interventions to help reduce stress and anxiety while promoting positive coping skills. Child life specialists are part of the multidisciplinary health care team at LSUHSC Children’s Hospital.
What services do child life specialists provide?
- Age and developmentally appropriate preparation for patients prior to tests, procedures and surgeries.
- Comfort and support for patients during tests and procedures.
- Diagnosis teaching for patients.
- Open communication that enables patients to share information about illness or injury.
- Therapeutic medical play that encourages patients to use "pretend" or actual medical equipment as a way of learning about the hospital environment, thus permitting patients to act out their feelings and concerns while also alerting the CCLS to any misconceptions they might have.
- Sibling support.
- Resources to help parents comprehend their child’s reactions to hospitalization and diagnosis.
- Support for grief and bereavement issues.
Child Life Department Staff
Amanda Hays Child Life Manager, Certified Child Life Specialist
Vanessa Anderson Certified Child Life Specialist
Lacey Lyle Certified Child Life Specialist
Child Life Department
Children’s Hospital of LSUHSCS
1501 Kings Highway
Shreveport, LA 71130
Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
The Child Life Department is looking for outgoing and caring individuals to supervise the playroom and spend quality time with our patients. For more information on volunteering please give us a call!
The Child Life Department gladly accepts donations of money and supplies. Please contact us for more information.