Post-Operative Care of Skin Biopsy / Minor Surgical Procedures
- Leave dressing in place for 24 hours then remove it and leave it off. (If the wound is in an area where it will get bumped or reinjured, you may put a light sterile gauze dressing over the wound for protection).
- Keep your wound clean and dry. Wash your wound daily with soap and water; pat dry carefully.
- Use triple antibiotic ointment as instructed directly to site. If an antibiotic (by mouth) has been prescribed, take it as instructed.
- If sutures were used, clean around them once daily with Q-tips and peroxide; then follow the above protocol.
- Watch for signs of infection:
- excessive redness
- increasing pain
- heat at the injury or an increase in temperature by thermometer.
- loss of movement
- Return to have your sutures removed on the day the M.D. has instructed.
For concerns or problems:
Call the clinic at 318.813.2625, Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM.
After clinic hours, weekends, and holidays, call 318.675.5000 and ask for the OMFS Resident on call.