Each year, the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center – Shreveport accepts one position for a 1-year fully-funded preliminary internship. The position is open to any graduate of a US or Canadian Dental School. The main goal of the internship is to provide dental graduates and/or prospective OMFS applicants the opportunity to gain access to hands-on OMFS training in both inpatient and ambulatory settings, in preparation for future applications for Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. The preliminary intern functions as a categorical PGY-1 resident and participates in all of the same responsibilities. These include but are not limited to:
- Functioning as the on-call resident on all inpatients and consults on the OMFS service
- Minor surgical procedures involving laceration repair, dentoalveolar surgery, trauma, infections
- Daily morning/evening rounds
- Observing/participating in operating room cases at the various hospitals
- Active patient care in the Ambulatory Care Clinic in all procedures performed at this outpatient clinic
- Participation in departmental seminars/conferences/meetings
Applications are accepted immediately following the Match Results.
Applicants must submit the following materials:
- A letter of recommendation from the Dean of Academic Affairs at your dental school.
- Three letters of recommendation from Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery staff at your dental school, or at programs with which you may have participated in an externship.
- A copy of your PASS application.
- Curriculum vitae.
- All undergraduate/graduate/dental school transcripts.
- A recent 2” x 2” photo with name written on back.
- A personal statement.
All qualified applicants will be contacted by phone and invited for a personal interview, a requirement for acceptance. Please call 318.675.8068 with any questions.
Please submit all application materials and supporting information to the following address:
Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
LSU Health Shreveport
1501 Kings Highway, Room 530
Shreveport, LA 71103