Goals & Objectives
Program Goals & Objectives
The goals and objectives of the Advanced Specialty Program in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery are designed to train students to competence in the specialty of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. The graduating students from this program should be proficient in all aspects of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery as evaluated by the American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery.
Goals and Objectives:
- Residents will receive training in basic science, didactic and clinical oral and maxillofacial surgery. The program will educate the resident in the basic and clinical sciences that involve treatment of the oral and maxillofacial surgery patient, including advanced coursework in dental implants, out-patient sedation and general anesthesia, anatomy, pathology, oncology, orthognathic surgery, cleft and craniofacial surgery, physical diagnosis, clinical pathophysiology, trauma and tumor reconstruction, esthetic surgery, dentoalveolar surgery, and temporomandibular joint surgery.
- Residents will learn appropriate diagnostic skills to accurately diagnose and treatment plan the Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery patient while utilizing the appropriate diagnostic tests and examinations for the clinical condition.
- The educational program will include rotations in various surgical and medical sub-specialties that will provide the resident with the knowledge and experience to treat the complex Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery patient.
- Residents will develop the skills needed to perform the full scope of ambulatory and inpatient Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Residents will engage in research to advance the specialty of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery in order to increase understanding of disease processes and improve patient care. The resident will be provided with a research experience to allow them to better understand future developments within the specialty.
- Residents will have access to current Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery and related journals and be able to critically analyze the literature.
- To provide outstanding and compassionate patient care to the citizens of Louisiana and neighboring regions for conditions relevant to the specialty of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. Patient care is given at the Louisiana State University Health Science Center at Shreveport including indigent as well as patients within the private practices of faculty members of the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery.