Externship in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
The Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at Louisiana State
University Health Sciences Center – Shreveport offers a 1 - 4 week
rigorous externship program available to third and fourth year dental
students from all US & Canadian Dental Schools. The main goal of the
program is to provide students with the opportunity to observe the full
scope of the specialty from both an ambulatory and inpatient setting.
While under the direct supervision of residents and staff, students will
be afforded the opportunity to observe/participate in all of the
residents’ daily responsibilities. These include but are not limited to:
- Pre-rounding with the on-call resident on all inpatients and consults on OMFS service
- Daily morning/evening rounds
- Taking trauma and in-house call with the residents
- Observing/participating in operating room cases at the various hospitals
- Observing/participating in the various clinics (Faculty,
Resident, Head & Neck, TMJ, Cleft, Plagiocephaly, and Craniofacial
at the LSU Campus, Willis-Knighton South and North Campuses, and Shriners Hospitals for Children)
- Participation in departmental seminars/conferences/meetings
Students will hopefully leave with a better understanding of resident
life at the intern/mid/senior levels, as well as a general
understanding of the specialty as a whole. We limit the program to a
maximum of four externs at any one time. Students must have completed
the second year of dental school and may apply by providing the
- A completed Externship Application.
- A letter of recommendation from the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at your dental school.
- A letter from your dental school certifying that you will be
covered under their malpractice insurance plan during the rotation,
$500,000 minimum. The letter should include the policy number and
amount of coverage.
- Proof of health insurance and required immunizations.
- A current transcript.
- A recent 2” x 2” photo with name written on back.
- A letter outlining the student’s objective for the externship.
Externs will be granted temporary I.D. badges on the first day of the externship that will provide them access to LSU and the various affiliate hospitals for the duration of their stay. We can accommodate you in our on-call room for the duration of the
externship, unless you desire to make your own arrangements. Please call
318.675.8068 with any questions.
Please complete the online application, and return any and all supporting information to the following address:
Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
LSU Health Sciences Center
1501 Kings Highway, Room 530
Shreveport, LA 71103