Transfer with Advanced Standing
Transfer with advanced standing into the LSU School of Medicine in Shreveport is possible in some circumstances.
With the highly integrated nature of our curriculum, transfer is possible only into the third year for students who have completed two years of medical school at an LCME accredited school, and who have passed Step 1 of the USMLE. The number of places available varies from year to year, as does the number of transfer students accepted. Each applicant is evaluated individually, and while a vacancy in the class is essential, it does not assure acceptance per se.
Requirements for Transfer with Advanced Standing
- Be a student in good standing at an LCME-accredited medical school
- A letter of intent and a non-refundable application fee of $50, payable to LSUHSC-S School of Medicine begin the process;
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended since high school;
- A Dean's letter including a statement of good standing;
- Letters of reference from three medical school professors;
- A personal interview in Shreveport for those passing an initial screening;
- MCAT scores and AMCAS application, copies from your school's registrar; and
- Step-1 of the USMLE, a passing score is required, and the test must be taken by the last day of June.
- April 1. All application materials, documentation and letters must be received by this date
- A nonrefundable deposit of $250 is due in the Admissions Office on a date specified in the Letter of Acceptance.
You will be notified of the school's decision as soon as one is made, which could be as late as June.