John C. McDonald, MD was the first chancellor and dean of the LSU Health Sciences Center in Shreveport, served as Chairman of the Department of Surgery and Surgeon-in-Chief of the LSU Hospital from 1977 until 2000.
Born in Mississippi in 1930, Dr. McDonald received his MD from the Tulane University School of Medicine and BS from Mississippi College. He completed his general surgery residency at Buffalo General Hospital in New York after his internship at the Confederate Memorial Medical Center, now University Health in Shreveport.
Internationally recognized for his contributions to advancing organ transplantation, Dr. McDonald was the founding Director of the LSU /Willis-Knighton Regional Transplant Center. In addition, he served as President of the United Network for Organ Sharing, the American Society of Transplant Surgeons, the Southern Surgical Association, the Surgical Association of Louisiana, the Halsted Society and the Louisiana Organ Procurement Agency. During his more than 30 years in the field of transplantation, he authored more than 200 papers in the surgical literature.
After his retirement in 2009, Dr. McDonald was named Chancellor Emeritus. He died December 31, 2011.
To learn more about his work, life and legacy please visit the John C. McDonald, MD website.